Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
UX Support Instructor
The application period for this role is currently closed. Interested individuals are still encouraged to submit their application materials for later openings expected in late 2022.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Format: In-person, Part-time (30 hrs/week)
- On-campus presence during three full-time (e.g., 8:30am-5:00pm) weekdays (e.g., Mon-Weds or Tues-Thurs), with planned flexibility. May include ~2-3 hours of on-campus work in the evenings every 3 months on a rotating schedule with other UX staff members.
- Some (~2-3 hours) remote administrative work (self-managed) on off-site days (e.g., Mondays, Fridays) in order to maintain progress with student outcomes and cohort instruction.
Prime’s immersion programs engage adult learners in the full spectrum of UX activities, from user research to prototyping, iterative design and evaluation, and development and maintenance phases. Our instructional team brings a variety of experiences in each of these components of the practice. Good-fit hires are experienced practitioners who are passionate about education and mentorship. Through experience, empathy, and modeling the practice in the classroom, you'll be helping others learn the practice of user experience research and design in a hands-on, supportive environment.
The UX Support Instructor provides critical administrative and practice-based support to the classroom instructor and active cohort(s), in order to aid in positive outcomes for students at Prime. They work closely with the UX Cohort instructor, the full UX Instruction team, and Prime support staff in order to deliver content in a timely and effective manner.
You'll be joining a nimble company with a passionate and dedicated team. We offer competitive salary and benefits including a generous PTO program, medical, dental, and vision benefits as well as a 401K plan with a company match.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the UX Cohort Instructor in delivering coursework through materials preparation, review, and release
- Support the UX instruction team through engagement with clients and preparing project overviews, assets for testing, etc.
- Virtually lead Tier 1 classes (1-2 times/week for 6 weeks) using existing class guides and templates
- Arrange guest critiques, panels, and speakers within the UX classroom. This may include some outreach to alumni or industry guests within Prime’s network, your network, or the UX instruction teams’ network.
- Maintain clear documentation of student progress and any gaps in work/outcomes that may impede their timely completion of the program
- Serve as a co- or primary facilitator for classroom/cohort activities (eg., critiques, research sessions, client kick-off meetings).
- Provide verbal and written evaluations of student work.
- Provide scheduled and ad hoc 1:1 support to students as needed
- Provide prompt and values-based correspondence to current students through Slack
- Collaborate with the UX cohort instructor(s) and cohort advisor(s) in order to ensure timely and values-based responses to student needs
- Deliver guest lectures on specific UX topics (within and outside of the UX program), ~1-2 times per month
- Support planned and unplanned cohort instructor absences in the UX program(s) by assuming the primary instructor role for brief amounts of time
- Collaborate and work independently with the UX Instruction team and other Prime staff to make progress on key programmatic goals (e.g., curriculum revisions, company initiatives)
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in user experience
- 1-2 years of client/project intake and scoping experience in a UX team
- Teaching and/or mentoring experience preferred
- Familiar with common UX research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry, concept evaluations, usability testing, synthesis strategies)
- Comfortable with a variety of prototyping methods and tools, including paper, digital, remote, and mobile
- Able to explain visual design principles, provide feedback on visual designs, and make recommendations for improvement
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and well-organized
- Able to work independently, prioritize, and reprioritize in a dynamic environment
- Communicative and collaborative
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Demonstrated skills in leadership/management, supporting/leading teamwork, and/or collaborative problem solving
- Experience with industry-standard design tools like Sketch, Invision, Figma, Adobe XD, AxureRP
- Experience lecturing and/or delivering talks on UX design and related subjects
- Experience executing along the entire UX design process, from generative research, prototyping and evaluative research through to design and development
- Basic understanding of modern software engineering technologies, tools, and techniques, and literate in HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated specialties in: agile, scrum, lean design, accessibility, mobile app development, service/experience design
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!