Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
UX Support Instructor
We continue to accept new submissions from interested applicants; however, we will not be processing new applications until we have a clearer picture of what the needs of the team and program are in 2024.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Format: Hybrid, Part-time Contract (20-30 hrs/week)
On-campus presence during two full-time (e.g., 8:30am-5:00pm) weekdays, with planned flexibility.
8-10 hrs remote administrative work (self-managed) on off-site days in order to maintain progress with student outcomes and cohort instruction.
Contract: Contract role on a per-cohort basis. Guaranteed 8 week engagement with the option for renewal/extension.
Prime’s immersion programs engage adult learners in the full spectrum of UX activities, from user research to prototyping, iterative design and evaluation, and development and maintenance phases. Our instructional team brings a variety of experiences in each of these components of the practice. Good-fit hires are experienced practitioners who are passionate about education and mentorship. Through experience, empathy, and modeling the UX practice in the classroom, you'll be helping others learn the methodology and principles of user experience research and design in a hands-on, supportive environment.
The UX Support Instructor provides critical administrative and practice-based support to the cohort instructor and active cohort(s), in order to aid in positive outcomes for students at Prime. They work closely with the UX Cohort instructor, the full UX Instruction team, and Prime support staff in order to deliver content in a timely and effective manner.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the UX Cohort Instructor in delivering coursework through materials preparation, review, and release
- Serve as a primary or co-facilitator for classroom/cohort activities (eg., critiques, research sessions, client kick-off meetings)
- Provide verbal and written evaluations of student work
- Grade key student deliverables using established rubrics and feedback process
- Collaborate with the UX instruction team to evaluate student progress and any gaps in work/outcomes that may impede their timely completion of the program
- Provide scheduled and ad hoc 1:1 support to students as needed
- Provide prompt and values-based correspondence to current students through Slack
- Collaborate with the UX cohort instructor(s) and cohort advisor(s) in order to ensure timely and values-based responses to student needs
- Support planned and unplanned cohort instructor absences in the UX program(s) by assuming the primary instructor role for brief amounts of time
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in user experience
- Teaching and/or mentoring experience preferred
- Familiar with common UX research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry, concept evaluations, usability testing, synthesis strategies)
- Comfortable with a variety of prototyping methods and tools, including paper, digital, remote, and mobile
- Able to explain visual design principles, provide feedback on visual designs, and make recommendations for improvement
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and well-organized
- Able to work independently, prioritize, and reprioritize in a dynamic environment
- Communicative and collaborative
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, supporting/leading teamwork, and collaborative problem solving
- Experience with industry-standard design tools like Figma, FigJam, Sketch, Invision, AxureRP, etc.
- Experience lecturing and/or delivering talks on UX design and related subjects
- Experience executing along the entire UX design process, from generative research, prototyping and evaluative research through to design and development
- Basic understanding of modern software engineering technologies, tools, and techniques, and literate in HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated specialties in: agile, scrum, lean design, accessibility, mobile app development, service/experience design, etc.
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to email@example.com
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!