Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
UX Program Coach
The application period for this role is currently closed. Interested individuals are still encouraged to submit their application materials for later openings expected in late 2022 or early 2023.
Location: Minneapolis, MN & Remote
Format: Remote (100% remote, 0% in-person); Part time (5-8 hours/week) for a period of 12 weeks minimum
Prime Academy is seeking several contract Program Coaches to help out the UX Design cohort students with technical and software support in their primary design and prototyping programs, as they work to increase their comfort and familiarity in these tools. Coaches will provide troubleshooting support and guidance to students through evening and weekend office hours. These exchanges will include students screensharing their in-progress deliverables and identifying challenges they are experiencing in achieving their goals. Coaches help students approach and overcome the technical challenges (and mental blockers) that they are facing in their program work by listening, reviewing their work, conducting ad-hoc demos, and identifying helpful resources. Coaches may also help curate and create resources (e.g., tutorials, asset accelerators, etc) that the instruction team will use for students’ continued learning and growth.
Program Coaches will work remotely and are expected to hold regular weekly office hours during which they will be available for student support in a signup-ahead and on-demand capacity. We ask Program Coaches to commit to a 12-week period in which they’ll work around 5-8 hours per week, during weekday evenings (usually Tues/Thurs between 7-9pm) and weekends (Sat/Sun between 11am-4pm).
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Abide by our Prime values when providing support and/or interacting with students.
- Assist instruction team with answering student questions about how to use design software programs.
- Take direction and guidance from the instruction team to ensure that the role is being effectively utilized and supporting the cohort of students to the maximum ability.
- Respond to correspondence from current students through Slack messaging
- Identify relevant and helpful resources for technical/software support (This may include planning and/or conducting live demos, creating and/or sharing recorded videos, and/or directing students to non-Prime support resources)
- Create custom resources (e.g., demos, walkthroughs) for continued use within the UX program
Program Coaches are responsible for providing timely and empathetic guidance to students as they work through challenges in the required software programs. Program Coaches are directly supervised by the Sr. Director of UX Instruction, while also providing updates to the cohort instructor(s).
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency in the UX design, prototyping, and communications software tools used within our program (Sketch, Squarespace, InVision, Keynote, Axure, Slack, Zoom, Google Suite)
- Proficiency in Mac OS platform
- Skill and excitement in problem-solving and trying new approaches to troubleshooting
- Empathy and compassion for the adult-as-student experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated
- Organized, detail-oriented, and great at follow-through
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Bonus: Experience in other UX prototyping, research, and collaboration tools (e.g., Figma, Marvel, Adobe XD, proto.io, User Zoom, UserTesting, Miro, Wix, etc.)
Education and Experience
Graduate of Prime Digital Academy (Certificate of User Experience Design) or 2+ years experience professional UX practice
You will need your own computer running macOS. Prime will not provide any physical equipment. Prime will provide educational licenses for Sketch, Axure, and InVision; access to Zoom and Slack will also be provided. If you do not have an active Squarespace account, one may be provided to you.
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to email@example.com
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!