Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
UX Cohort Instructor
The application period for this role is currently closed. Interested individuals are still encouraged to submit their application materials for later openings expected in late 2022.
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Format: In-person, Full-time (40 hrs/week)
- On-campus presence during weekdays, with opportunities for planned/unplanned flexibility. May include ~2-3 hours of on-campus work in the evenings every 3 months on a rotating schedule with other UX staff members.
Prime’s immersion programs engage adult learners in the full spectrum of UX activities, from user research to prototyping, iterative design and evaluation, and development and maintenance phases. Our instructional team brings a variety of experiences in each of these components of the practice. Good-fit hires are experienced practitioners who are passionate about education and mentorship. Through experience, empathy, and modeling the practice in the classroom, you'll be helping others learn the practice of user experience research and design in a hands-on, supportive environment.
The UX Cohort Instructor is the primary facilitator of the cohort’s learning experience, providing structure, consistency, and supporting positive outcomes for their students at Prime. They work closely with the UX Support Instructor, the full UX Instruction team, and Prime support staff in order to maintain the cohort’s progress.
You'll be joining a nimble company with a passionate and dedicated team. We offer competitive salary and benefits including a generous PTO program, medical, dental, and vision benefits as well as a 401K plan with a company match.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the delivery of programmatic coursework and content via provided curriculum, including lectures, demonstrations, and discussions
- Serve as the primary facilitator for and engage students in hands-on UX practice activities (eg., critiques, research sessions, group synthesis, client kick-off meetings)
- Manage student motivation during rigorous coursework
- Moderate class discussion to balance input and participation
- Collaborate with the UX Support Instructor to evaluate student progress and identify gaps in work/outcomes that may impede their timely completion of the program
- Provide verbal and written evaluations of student work
- Schedule and lead 1:1 check-in sessions with students at planned moments throughout their program
- Provide prompt and values-based correspondence to current students through Slack
- Collaborate with the UX support instructor and cohort advisor(s) in order to ensure timely and values-based responses to student needs
- Deliver guest lectures on specific UX topics (within and outside of the UX program)
- Collaborate and work independently with the UX Instruction team and other Prime staff to make progress on key programmatic goals (e.g., curriculum revisions, company initiatives)
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in user experience
- Teaching and/or mentoring experience
- Familiar with common UX research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry, concept evaluations, usability testing, synthesis strategies)
- Comfortable with a variety of prototyping methods and tools, including paper, digital, remote, and mobile
- Able to explain visual design principles, provide feedback on visual designs, and make recommendations for improvement
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and well-organized
- Able to work independently, prioritize, and reprioritize in a dynamic environment
- Communicative and collaborative
- Comfort with managing difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Demonstrated skills in leadership/management, supporting/leading teamwork, and/or collaborative problem solving
- Experience with industry-standard design tools like Sketch, Invision, Figma, Adobe XD, AxureRP
- Experience lecturing and/or delivering talks on UX design and related subjects
- Experience executing along the entire UX design process, from generative research, prototyping and evaluative research through to design and development
- Basic understanding of modern software engineering technologies, tools, and techniques, and literate in HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated specialties in: agile, scrum, lean design, accessibility, mobile app development, service/experience design
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to email@example.com
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!