Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
Lead UX Instructor
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Format: In-person, Full-time
Prime engages students in the full spectrum of UX activities, from user research to prototyping, iterative design and evaluation, and into development and maintenance phases. Our instructional team brings a variety of experience in each of these components of the practice.
The Lead UX Instructor provides structure and supports positive outcomes for their students at Prime. We're looking for experienced practitioners who are passionate about education and mentorship. Through experience, empathy, and leadership in the classroom you'll be helping others learn the practice of user experience design. You are responsible for guiding a cohort of students through the Prime program with the assistance of the entire instruction team and support staff.
You'll be joining a nimble company with a passionate and dedicated team. We offer competitive salary and benefits including a generous PTO program, medical, dental, and vision benefits as well as a 401K plan with a company match.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- General on-site presence 8:30am-5:00pm during the weekdays; may include ~2-3 hours of on-site work in the evenings during certain weeks on a rotating schedule with other UX staff members.
- Reviewing and delivering daily lectures
- Guiding students through instruction and from-the-field advice
- Managing student motivation during rigorous coursework
- Moderating class discussion to balance input and participation
- Engaging students in hands-on UX practice activities (e.g., critique, group synthesis, client kick-off meetings)
- Providing verbal and written feedback on student deliverables
- Scheduling and leading 1:1 check-in sessions with students
- Responding to correspondence from current students through email and Slack
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in user experience design (Note: Only alumni from Baldwin and Belmont will qualify)
- Teaching and/or mentoring experience
- Familiarity with common UX research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry, concept evaluations, usability testing, synthesis strategies)
- Comfort with a variety of prototyping methods and tools, including paper, digital, remote, and mobile
- Intimate understanding of UX design processes and artifacts, with experience tailoring them to solve different problems
- Ability to explain visual design principles, provide feedback on visual designs, and make recommendations for improvement
- Self-motivated, independent, and outcomes-driven
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Proven skills in leadership/management, supporting/leading teamwork and collaborative problem solving
- Experience with industry-standard design tools like Sketch, Invision, Figma, Adobe XD, AxureRP
- Experience lecturing and/or delivering talks on UX design and related subjects
- Experience executing along the entire UX design process, from generative research, prototyping and evaluative research through to design and development
- Basic understanding of modern software engineering technologies, tools, and techniques, and literate in HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated specialties in: agile, scrum, lean design, accessibility, mobile app development, service/experience design
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!