Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
UX Cohort Instructor
We continue to accept new submissions from interested applicants; however, we will not be processing those applications until our review of candidates who are already under consideration (assuming we have not filled the position).
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Format: In-person, Full-time (40 hrs/week)
- On-campus presence during weekdays, with opportunities for planned/unplanned flexibility.
Contract: January 2, 2024 - December 13, 2024 (three total weeks of planned time-off between cohorts)
Prime’s immersion programs engage adult learners in the full spectrum of UX activities, from user research to prototyping, iterative design and evaluation, and development and maintenance phases. Our instructional team brings a variety of experiences in each of these components of the practice. Good-fit hires are experienced practitioners who are passionate about education and mentorship. Through experience, empathy, and modeling the UX practice in the classroom, you'll be helping others learn the methodology and principles of user experience research and design in a hands-on, supportive environment.
The UX Cohort Instructor is the primary facilitator of the cohort’s learning experience, providing structure, consistency, and supporting positive outcomes for their students at Prime. They work closely with the UX Support Instructor, the full UX Instruction team, and Prime support staff in order to maintain the cohort’s progress.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the delivery of programmatic coursework and content via provided curriculum, including lectures, demonstrations, and discussions
- Serve as the primary facilitator for and engage students in hands-on UX practice activities (eg., critiques, research sessions, group synthesis, client kick-off meetings)
- Manage student motivation during rigorous coursework
- Moderate class discussion to balance input and participation
- Collaborate with the UX instruction team to evaluate student progress and identify gaps in work/outcomes that may impede their timely completion of the program
- Provide verbal and written evaluations of student work
- Provide scheduled and ad hoc 1:1 support to students as needed
- Schedule and lead planned 1:1 sessions with students throughout the program
- Provide prompt and values-based correspondence to current students through Slack
- Collaborate with the UX instruction staff and cohort advisor(s) in order to ensure timely and values-based responses to student needs
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in user experience
- 1-2 years of client/project intake and scoping experience on a UX team
- Teaching and/or mentoring experience
- Familiar with common UX research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry, concept evaluations, usability testing, synthesis strategies)
- Comfortable with a variety of prototyping methods and tools, including paper, digital, remote, and mobile
- Able to explain visual design principles, provide feedback on visual designs, and make recommendations for improvement
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and well-organized
- Able to work independently, prioritize, and reprioritize in a dynamic environment
- Communicative and collaborative
- Comfort with managing difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Demonstrated skills in leadership/management, supporting/leading teamwork, and collaborative problem solving
- Experience lecturing and/or delivering talks on UX design and related subjects
- Experience with industry-standard design tools like Figma, FigJam, Sketch, Invision, AxureRP, etc.
- Experience executing along the entire UX design process, from generative research, prototyping and evaluative research through to design and development
- Basic understanding of modern software engineering technologies, tools, and techniques, and literate in HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated specialties in: agile, scrum, lean design, accessibility, mobile app development, service/experience design, etc.
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Research shows that folks who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!