Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
Fullstack Engineering: Teaching Assistant (TA)
Location: On Campus, Downtown Minneapolis
Format: On Site; Part-time (8-12 hours/week) for a minimum of 8 weeks
Prime Academy is currently seeking a contract Teaching Assistant to help out the Fullstack Instruction Staff on campus. This person will help students in the Prime Academy classrooms by providing support to and helping students one on one, or within small groups. Note that this is a 2 month contract position with the option to extend based on the needs of Prime.
This position is only available to Prime Academy graduates.
Send your resume and cover letter or statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with TA-Application in the subject line.
Research shows that people who are part of historically excluded groups or are otherwise underrepresented are less likely to apply for a role if they feel they don't meet all the criteria. If you are hesitant to submit your materials for that reason, please apply anyway!
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Abide by our Prime values when providing support and/or interacting with students.
- Be available to observe and answer questions from students during solo or group project activities.
- Assist instruction team with answering student questions about code, concepts, or debugging.
- Take direction and guidance from the instruction team to ensure that the role is being effectively utilized and supporting the cohort of students to the maximum ability.
- Respond to correspondence from current students through Slack messaging
- Identify relevant and helpful resources for technical/software support (This may include planning and/or conducting live demos, creating and/or sharing recorded videos, and/or directing students to non-Prime support resources)
- Create custom resources (e.g., demos, videos) for continued use within the FSE program
Program Coaches are responsible for providing timely and empathetic guidance to students as they work through challenges in the required software programs. Program Coaches are directly supervised by the Director of Fullstack Instruction, while also providing updates to the cohort instructor(s).
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in directly mentoring or teaching others as a part of your career path
- Proficiency in modern software engineering technology, tools and techniques
- Proficiency with data structures in SQL databases
- Proficiency in Mac OS platform
- Skill and excitement in problem-solving and trying new approaches to troubleshooting
- Empathy and compassion for the adult-as-student experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated
- Organized, detail-oriented, and great at follow-through
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Education and Experience
- Graduate of Prime Digital Academy, Certificate of Software Engineering
EquipmentYou will need your own computer running macOS. Prime will not provide equipment.
- You will need VSCode, a free IDE
- You will need a Github account
- You will be provided with a Zoom account, Slack Access, and typical office equipment.