Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
FSE Cohort Instructor (Part-time/Adjunct)
The FSE Cohort Instructor provides structure and ensures outcomes for the education of students of the Part Time Fullstack Engineering (FSE) program at Prime Digital Academy. Through experience, empathy, and authority in the classroom they set the table for student learning.
Instructors ensure all students are engaged and have the opportunity to learn the material. They target resources, feedback, and instruction based on individual need while focusing on excellent overall group outcomes. They work closely with other faculty members as well as Career Services and Student Life personnel to maintain Cohort and student progress.
- This position is contract-based for a single cohort (29 weeks total) and is 100% remote. 12-16 hours per week is typical.
- Class days are weekly on Tuesday and Wednesday or Wednesday and Thursday, depending on the cohort.
- All class times are 5pm - 9pm US Central Time.
- Other times required for Office Hours and other support.
To apply, send a cover letter or statement of interest along with your resume to email@example.com.
- Effective instruction using Zoom/remote modes and methods
- Student participation
- Regular student 1 on 1s
- Participate in review of student work
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading weekly lectures (up to 2 classes per week) via Zoom
- Supporting students in the classroom through ad hoc instruction and advice
- Engaging students in classroom activities
- Moderating class discussion to balance input and participation
- Scheduling and leading 1 on 1 sessions with students
- Respond to correspondence from current students through email and instant messaging
- Provide direction to mentors in the classroom
- Provide feedback on student work, including student code
- Keep scheduled Office Hours for 1 on 1 student support
- Hold weekly Instruction/Student Life meetings to identify and address student needs
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development
- 2 or more years of experience in either formal teaching or mentorship in the workplace
Skills and Qualifications
- Expertise in modern software engineering technology, tools and techniques
- Expertise in data structures in SQL
- Expertise in modern source code management, utility and deployment technologies like Git, Webpack, cloud-based hosting platforms, CI/CD
- Deep understanding of project management, user experience and quality assurance principles as they relate to software engineering
- Experience lecturing and delivering talks on technical subjects
- Experience mentoring software engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, self-motivated, and success driven
- Manage difficult or emotional situations, responding promptly to requests for service and assistance
- Proven leadership and teamwork skills and collaborative group problem solving
- Organized, detail oriented, and great at follow-through
- Must have the ability to multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic environment
Cohort Instructors are directly supervised by the Director of Instruction. Instructors work on a peer basis with other Instructors and Senior Instructors to customize and iterate on coursework and generally improve Academy instruction processes. Instructors work on a peer basis with admissions and support staff.
- General office setting—no hazardous chemicals or manufacturing equipment/production lines/machinery, however, noise levels fluctuate with open office environment
- Minimal travel
- Sitting\standing (75%) of the day at meetings and at desk
- Lecturing (15%)
- Keyboarding and using mouse (90%)
- Occasional stooping and reaching (5%)
- Reading (90%)