Help Us Transform Lives
Develop a New Generation of Technologists
Fullstack Code Coach
Prime Academy is seeking several contract Program Coaches to help out Fullstack Engineering students with technical and coding support. Coaches will help students with debugging and conceptual guidance through dedicated office hours outside of regular class time. These sessions will be hosted using the Zoom platform.
Expected interactions include students screen sharing their in-progress assignments and identifying challenges they are experiencing in completing them, helping students review/revisit concepts, and helping students succeed with assignments. Coaches help students approach and overcome the technical challenges (and mental blockers) that they are facing in their work by listening, reviewing their work, conducting ad-hoc debugging, identifying helpful resources, and morale support. Coaches may also help curate and create resources (e.g., tutorials, videos, etc) that the instruction team will use for students’ continued learning and growth.
Code Coaches will work remotely and are expected to hold regular weekly office hours during which they will be available for student support in an on-demand capacity. We ask Program Coaches to commit to a 8-week period in which they’ll work around 2-5 hours per week, during weekday evenings (usually Wednesday and or Thursday between 6-9pm - Exact times negotiable).
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Abide by our Prime values when providing support and/or interacting with students.
- Assist instruction team with answering student questions about code, concepts, or debugging.
- Take direction and guidance from the instruction team to ensure that the role is being effectively utilized and supporting the cohort of students to the maximum ability.
- Respond to correspondence from current students through Slack messaging
- Identify relevant and helpful resources for technical/software support (This may include planning and/or conducting live demos, creating and/or sharing recorded videos, and/or directing students to non-Prime support resources)
- Create custom resources (e.g., demos, videos) for continued use within the FSE program
Program Coaches are responsible for providing timely and empathetic guidance to students as they work through challenges in the required software programs. Program Coaches are directly supervised by the Director of Fullstack Instruction, while also providing updates to the cohort instructor(s).
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in directly mentoring or teaching others as a part of your career path
- Proficiency in modern software engineering technology, tools and techniques
- Proficiency with data structures in SQL databases
- Proficiency in Mac OS platform
- Skill and excitement in problem-solving and trying new approaches to troubleshooting
- Empathy and compassion for the adult-as-student experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated
- Organized, detail-oriented, and great at follow-through
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Education and Experience
- Graduate of Prime Digital Academy, Certificate of Software Engineering or 2+ years experience professional programming
EquipmentYou will need your own computer running macOS. Prime will not provide equipment.
- You will need VSCode, a free IDE
- You will need a Github account
- You will be provided with a Zoom account, Slack Access,